In the 1990s, with the advancement of integration technology, the improvement of equipment and the use of deep sub-micron technology, LSI, VLSI, and ULSI appeared one after another. The integration of silicon single-chips continued to increase, and the requirements for integrated circuit packaging were more stringent. The number of I/O pins With a sharp increase, power consumption also increases. In order to meet the needs of development, on the basis of the original packaging varieties, a new variety has been added-Ball Grid Array Package, referred to as BGA (Ball Grid Array Package).
The memory packaged with BGA technology can increase the memory capacity by two to three times without changing the volume of the memory. Compared with TSOP, BGA has a smaller volume, better heat dissipation performance and electrical performance. BGA packaging technology has greatly improved the storage capacity per square inch. Memory products using BGA packaging technology have only one third of the volume of the TSOP package under the same capacity; in addition, compared with the traditional TSOP packaging method, the BGA package There is a faster and more effective way to dissipate heat.
The I/O terminals of the BGA package are distributed under the package in the form of circular or columnar solder joints. The advantage of BGA technology is that although the number of I/O pins has increased, the pin spacing has not decreased but increased. Improves the assembly yield; although its power consumption increases, BGA can be welded by the controllable collapse chip method, which can improve its electrothermal performance; thickness and weight are reduced compared with the previous packaging technology; parasitic parameters (large current When the amplitude changes, the output voltage disturbance is reduced, the signal transmission delay is small, and the use frequency is greatly improved; the assembly can be coplanar welding, and the reliability is high.
As soon as BGA appeared, it became the best choice for high-density, high-performance, multi-function, and high I/O pin packaging for VLSI chips such as CPU and North-South Bridge. Its characteristics are:
1. Although the number of I/O pins has increased, the pin spacing is much larger than QFP, which improves the assembly yield;
2. Although its power consumption increases, BGA can be welded by the controllable collapse chip method, referred to as C4 welding, which can improve its electric heating performance;
3. Compared with QFP, the thickness is reduced by more than 1/2, and the weight is reduced by more than 3/4;
4. The parasitic parameters are reduced, the signal transmission delay is small, and the frequency of use is greatly improved;
5. Coplanar welding can be used for assembly, with high reliability;
6. BGA package is still the same as QFP and PGA, occupying too much substrate area;
BGA ball grid array package
With the development of integrated circuit technology, the packaging requirements for integrated circuits have become more stringent. This is because the packaging technology is related to the functionality of the product. When the frequency of the IC exceeds 100MHz, the traditional packaging method may produce the so-called “CrossTalk” phenomenon, and when the number of IC pins is greater than 208 Pin, the traditional packaging method has Its difficulty. Therefore, in addition to the QFP packaging method, most of today’s high-pin count chips (such as graphics chips and chipsets, etc.) have switched to BGA (Ball Grid Array Package) packaging technology. As soon as BGA appeared, it became the best choice for high-density, high-performance, multi-pin packages such as CPUs and south/north bridge chips on motherboards.
1. PBGA (Plastic BGA) substrate: generally a multi-layer board composed of 2-4 layers of organic materials. In Intel series CPUs, Pentium II, III, IV processors all use this package. In the past two years, another form has emerged: that is, the IC is directly bound to the board. Its price is much cheaper than the regular price. It is generally used in fields such as games that have less stringent quality requirements.
2. CBGA (CeramicBGA) substrate: it is a ceramic substrate. The electrical connection between the chip and the substrate usually adopts the installation method of flip chip (FlipChip, FC for short). In the Intel series of CPUs, Pentium I, II, and Pentium Pro processors have all used this type of package.
3. FCBGA (FilpChipBGA) substrate: hard multilayer substrate.
4. TBGA (TapeBGA) substrate: The substrate is a ribbon-shaped soft 1-2 layer PCB circuit board.
5. CDPBGA (Carity Down PBGA) substrate: refers to the chip area (also called cavity area) with a square depression in the center of the package.
For the time being, FASTPCBA will share with you here first of BGA Package, and next time I will share with you what the process flow of BGA is.
PCB board short circuit six inspection methods First, opening the PCB board design on the comput...
Common PCB circuit board fault detection method Common PCB circuit board faults are mainly...
During circuit board soldering process, what should be paid attention to? 1. Possible conditions...
What do the “special pads” on the PCB do? First, the plum pad 1, The fixing hole need...
What are the requirements and specifications for pwb positioning holes? What is a PCB positioning...
Circuit board spray tin function and technics procedure introduction The so-called spray tin is ...
Surface Mount Technology (SMT) Surface Mount Technology (SMT), also known as surface assembly tec...
How to wash the pcba After the PCBA processing process is completed, it is often seen that there ...